Excursion Program Overview
This hands-on program at our Sustainability Excursion Centre explores responsible consumerism and waste minimisation from the how’s and what’s of curbside recycling, to ‘pitching’ the benefits and pitfalls of various recyclable materials, a waste wise shopping challenge, what’s so hot about compost and the journey of our electronic items and their planned obsolescence.
- Tuning In – Recycling Relay including E-waste
- Wastelands – in teams, following the product journey for a recyclable item before pitching to your class the benefits (and pitfalls) of your item versus other materials (worksheet provided to support in collating information)
- Videos – Check out a brief video to see what happens to your curbside recycling at a Material Recovery Facility and a comedic clip about planned and perceived obsolescence
- 3R’s – Take the waste wise shopping challenge AND explore how our choices have changed since plastics were invented with ‘Ye Olde Worlde Shop’
- Incredible Shrinking Machine – immerses students in the inner workings of a compost bin to understand the key processes that occur here
- Tour of Compost Bin – checks out the variety of compost bins in our backyard, their key ingredients and how they each keep the balance
- Worms on plates – meet the masters of organics recycling themselves!
Victorian Curriculum Links:
Science: Science Understanding
Changes to materials can be reversible, including melting, freezing, evaporating, or irreversible, including burning and rusting (VCSSU077)
Civics and Citizenship
Examine the concept of global citizenship(VCCCC017)
© 2017 Copyright Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority, State Government of Victoria.