Our amazing planet contains hidden treasures. Embark on a journey of discovery as we explore every day materials and identify connections to natural resources. Prepare to challenge your current waste management behaviour at school and home to ensure a sustainable future.
This program can be tailored to suit different levels of understanding, from topic introduction through to topic consolidation.
Victorian Curriculum Links:
- Science: Science Understanding
- People use science in their daily lives (VCSSU041)
- Objects are made of materials that have observable properties (VCSSU044)
- Everyday materials can be physically changed or combined with other materials in a variety of ways for particular purposes (VCSSU045)
- Earth’s resources are used in a variety of ways (VCSSU047)
There are two options for this program. The 2 hour short program includes three activities listed below (selected upon booking). The 4 hour long program includes all five activities.
Explore our wastelands to uncover where resources come from and how they are recycled.
- Recycling and the Alternatives
Drama based activity that follows the journey of an aluminium can when you toss it, bin it and recycle it.
- Nude Food Demonstration
Explore the 5Rs inverted pyramid (Rethink, Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) to identify the various points at which waste can be reduced.
- Recycling Relay & Waste Wise Shopping
Examine common items and decide which can be recycled and determine which are single use that end up in landfill.
- Compost Bin & Worms
Step through our shrinking machine and immerse yourself in compost where you will discover how we can reduce organic waste.
Both programs conclude with:
- Call to Action
Students are empowered to create positive change around waste reduction and our shared environment.
Restrictions: More than 4 classes can be accommodated by special request; only available during a 4 hour program.