Excursion Program Overview
Fires are a natural part of the forest environment. Investigate how bushfires and fire effect the environment, plants, animals and local communities.
Visit a Mountain Ash Forest, logging coupe and a stop off to compare and contrast Wirrawilla Rainforest.
If available, CFA firefighters can showcase their trucks, protective equipment and response systems.
- the elements needed to start a fire
- how fires are started in the environment
- how indigenous peoples traditionally used fire to manage the land
- how fire is used in a controlled way to protect communities and encourage seed regeneration after logging
- how plants and animals are adapted to fire
What to bring: Bus must accompany program
Science: Biological Sciences (5-6), Earth & Space Science (6)
Geography: Geographical Knowledge & Understanding (5)