Excursion Program Overview
Explore the beautiful Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary with all of your senses! From our drama based introduction, to a journey along the sandy beach to the rock platform to discover items washed ashore and what creatures make this special place their home. Discover our guided play-based learning stations to uncover more secrets of the beach!
- Meet Queen Neptune and learn how to be safe at the beach
- Items washed ashore on a beachcomb
- How litter gets into the sea through the drains
- Marine creatures on our rockpool ramble and the need to treat them with care
- Guided play-based learning stations with hands on activities including:
- Trash or Treasure: sorting litter items from beach artefacts and putting into treasure chest or rubbish
- Floating or Sinking: testing different marine artefacts in a tub of water to see if they float or sink
- Shell Discovery: magnifying glasses, large shells for listening, collection of shells to sort via colour, size, order from largest to smallest, colour swatches to match to colours, etc
- Beach Treasures Match: with Gould League educator. More fragile marine artefacts here, matching to our beachcombing poster and discussing what the items are
- Costumes: free play, dress up in costumes and move like those animals
Restrictions: Tide dependent, Term 1 and 4 (or school holidays) only. We recommend a high ratio of adult helpers to students to support their safe discovery of the beach.
Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework: Outcome 2
National Quality Standards: Standard 3.3