Excursion Program Overview
A hands-on investigation of the wonderful creatures and the roles they play in two separate habitats: the garden and a compost bin.
- Story book introduction
- Incredible Shrinking Machine & Compost Creatures Costumes– Students venture through our incredible shrinking machine (dressed as our array of minibeasts) to explore inside a compost bin and sing a song.
- Worms Up Close – Students have a close up look at compost worms using hand lenses and discover what cocoons and saddles look like.
- Garden Hunt – Students explore our indigenous forest/garden and search for and collect amazing minibeasts.
- Bugs Up Close – Have a close up look at your garden minibeast finds using hand lens’ and our video microscope projected onto a TV screen.
- Live insects – meet real life stick insects!
Duration: Can be customised based on the needs of your learners. We recommend 1 hour 30 mins with a 15 minute break half way through.
Restrictions: Maximum of 25 children per Gould League educator. Adults are free of charge, and we suggest bringing a minimum of 5 per group. No younger siblings please.
Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework: Outcome 2
National Quality Standards: Standard 3.3