Excursion Program Overview
A hands-on investigation into the wonderful world of minibeasts and the roles they play in two separate habitats: the garden and a compost bin.
Your program includes:
- Story book to introduce children to the wonderful world of minibeasts.
- Compost Bin Exploration – Children dress up in minibeast costumes and venture through our “Incredible Shrinking Machine” to explore inside a compost bin and meet the creatures that live there.
- Worms Up Close – Students have a close up look at our wonderful wriggly worms from our worm farm and discover what worm cocoons and saddles look like and do.
- Minibeast Hunt – Students explore our indigenous garden and search for and collect amazing minibeasts.
- Bugs Up Close – Have a close up look at your garden minibeasts using our video microscope.
- Live insects – Meet real live stick insects!
Duration: We recommend 1 hour and 30 minutes with a 15 minute break halfway through.
Restrictions: Maximum of 25 children per group. Adults are free of charge and we suggest a ratio of one adult for every three children to aid supervision. No younger siblings please.
Children are connected with and contribute to their world (Community). Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework Outcome 2.
Children are confident and involved learners (Learning). Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework Outcome 4.
Children are effective communicators (Communication). Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework Outcome 5.
|Program Location||Sustainability Education Centre Cheltenham|
|Max # of Groups (group max 25)||2|
|Possible Start Times||10.00am (9.40am arrival), 12.00pm (11.40am arrival)|
|Program Duration||1.5 hours|
|Program Theme||Biodiversity, Living things|
|Cost per group||$330|