Kids Club (Membership for Children 16 and under) 2023
Kids Club – Annual Membership for children 16 and under
Kids Club is a great way to engage children to respect, protect and support all living things. For more than 110 years we have created generations of eco-warriors. Help us create the next generation of eco warriors by enrolling your students, children, or grandchildren as members, as mother earth needs our collective support now more than ever before!
The Kids Club Membership includes:
– 1 year membership
– Membership Letter
– Badge featuring the rare Eastern Ground Parrot
– 2023’s book for under 8’s is First Flight – Children over 8 receive a copy of Gould League’s Rare Birds of South-eastern Australia which features the Eastern Ground Parrot)
– Pledge Certificate and Conservation Code
– Folded Poster of Australian Parrots which features the rare Eastern Ground Parrot
– Quarterly Newsletter with free activities
2023 is the UN International Year of Millets, and to celebrate this amazing plant, we are featuring one of the many species that enjoys it’s seeds – the Eastern Ground Parrot (Pezoporus wallicus).
The Eastern Ground Parrot inhabits south-eastern Australia from southern Queensland through NSW to western Victoria. In NSW populations have declined due to land clearing and predation by foxes and cats. It’s now contracted to islands of coastal or sub coastal heathland and sedge land habitats.
The Eastern Ground Parrot is one of only five ground-dwelling parrots in the world which enjoys native millets. The others being the western ground parrot, extremely rare Night Parrot, the Antipodes parakeet and the highly endangered Kakapo from New Zealand.
Millets are highly nutritious ancient grains that not only withstand hot and dry climates, but also suppress weeds and encourage healthy soil biota and microbes. It is hoped they regain popularity to aid food security in the age of climate change.