Gould League is excited to launch our first official ‘Family Learning’ event these holidays! Based on our popular early childhood and primary school program, we’re offering families a chance to experience the wonders of our Sustainability Education Centre in Moorabbin and learn about our local biodiversity of friendly garden creatures in a fun and interactive way.
FAMILY MINIBEAST SAFARI
Led by one of our engaging educators, come on a minibeast safari adventure with your family! Targeted at 4-8 year olds and their guardians.
Date: Friday 10th April, 2015
Time: 9.45am arrival for a 10am-12.30pm program
Location: Gould League Sustainability Education Centre, 4 Genoa St Moorabbin
Target audience: 4 to 8 year olds and their guardians (18yrs+)
Cost: $15 per child, $5 per adult
Required Ratio: 1 guardian for every 4 children
- Garden Biodiversity Hunt – explore our indigenous forest-like garden and search for and collect amazing minibeasts
- Play Based Learning Activities:
- Bugs Up Close – Have a close up look at your garden minibeast finds using hand lens’ and our video microscope projected onto a TV screen
- Minibeast Body Parts – build a minibeast using our felt boards and felt body parts
- Lifecycle Lucky Dip – match up different stages of a butterfly, lady bird and beetle’s lifecycle
- Build a Garden Home – think about all the things that a minibeast would need in a home and build it in our mini sand-pit before adding the animals
- Incredible Shrinking Machine – venture through our incredible shrinking machine in minibeast costumes to explore the inner workings of a compost bin
- Worms Up Close – have a close up look at compost worms using magnifying glasses and discover what cocoons and saddles look like
- Live Minibeasts – Meet our weird and wonderful spiny leaf insects, and giant burrowing cockroaches!
What to bring:
– Bring a snack for a morning tea break with your family
– Optional: Lunch for afterwards if you’d like to spend more time in our garden after the program
– Sunsmart attire & dress for the weather (1 outdoor activity)
– An open, inquisitive mind!
– A refillable drink bottle
– At least 1 adult guardian for every 4 children
Any additional questions please don’t hesitate to contact us